Super Pulsed Cold Laser Therapy also called LLLT (Low Level Laser Therapy) is drug-free, pain free, side-effect free, non-invasive and effective solution for reducing pain, controlling inflammation and accelerating healing for a wide variety of conditions. It rejuvenate damaged cells and heal tissue, resulting in a reduction of pain and symptoms.
At Medic Physiotherapy we use a class an Apollo Pulsed Laser. This is an ANSI Class 4 laser, with Class 3 Health Canada licensing.
How does it work?
Photons of light energy are absorbed selectively by injured cells, and transformed into biochemical energy in the mitochondria, which are the “power plants” within all cells. The converted energy stimulates production of new proteins needed for cellular repair of injured tendon, muscle, tendon, blood vessels and nerves. Just as plants absorb light to grow and repair.
Benefits of Laser Therapy
- Stimulates the production of ATP. This is a molecule that carries energy. The cells use this energy to bring in nutrition and take out waste products. It will lead to faster healing of all body structures like muscles,
tendons, ligaments, etc.
- Stimulates formation of collagen. Collagen is a protein that is found in our whole body, and is needed to replace old tissue or to repair tissue injuries. Faster production of collagen will lead to less scar formation.
- Laser light decreases pain. Laser light has a highly beneficial effect on nerve cells, which block pain transmitted by inflamed muscles, tendons, and ligaments to the brain.
- Accelerates lymphatic system activity. This is a system that filters our body fluid. With an injury the lymphatic vessels will rupture and swelling will occur. Laser light repairs these torn vessels and rapidly reduce swelling.
- Increases the formation of blood vessels (Angioneogenesis). With an injury microscopic blood vessels are ruptured and will lead to swelling and bruising. Laser light stimulates the repair of these vessels, which is
needed to restore normal blood supply for the injured structures.
- Increases the circulating levels of Serotonin and Endorphins in the blood. Serotonin is a powerful neurotransmitter in the brain. Low Serotonin is found in Depression. Endorphins are the brain’s natural “morphine-like”chemical, and reduce pain when activated.
Types of Conditions Treated by Cold Laser at Medic Physiotherapy
- Arthritis (All kinds of Arthritis)
- Ligament sprains and muscle strains
- Back ad Neck Acute and Chronic Pain
- Neurogenic Pain
- Repetitive Stress Injury (Tennis Elbow, Rotatory Cuff Injury)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Knee Pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Elbow Pain
- Wrist Pain
- Foot and Ankle Pain
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Temporomandibular Joint Pain
- Trigger Points
- Plantar Fasciitis